Would you like to know what your kitten is really thinking? Well, there's a way to get inside your kitten's head and that's by becoming aware of their body language. Here we'll take a look at what your kitten's tail movements can tell you about how they're feeling.
Would you like to know what your kitten is really thinking?
Well, there's a way to get inside your kitten's head and that's by becoming aware of their body language. In fact, your kitten's busy little tail is one of their most effective ways to communicate their mood.
Here’s our guide to what your kitten’s tail is telling you:
• Tail held high – your kitten is feeling happy and confident
• Wiggling at the base or tip – your kitten is saying a friendly “hello”
• Curled under their body – your kitten is feeling submissive
• Curled around another cat's tail or human legs - your kitten is being friendly
• Fluffed to more than twice its size – your kitten is scared, threatened and defensive (if your kitten is also displaying an arched back, hair standing on end and unfurled claws then you should give them some space!)
• Rapid flicking – your kitten is agitated
• Wagging – your kitten is irritated (note that this is the opposite of a dog’s wagging tail!)
• Thumping – your kitten is highly frustrated, and may even attack
• Slowly twitching tail tip – your kitten is curious or excited (you’ll often see this when they're crouching)
So keep your eye on your kitten's tail. You'll start to notice a wide repertoire of tail movements, and get to know you're kitten on a whole new level!